Health Tip: Exercising in Cold Weather10/12/12
(HealthDay News) -- Most people can exercise comfortably in cold
weather, assuming they bundle up. The prime concern is preventing
hypothermia -- the loss of too much body heat.
The American Council on Exercise offers these suggestions for
exercising safely in the cold:
- Wear layers of clothing that you can peel away as you warm
- Keep your head, hands and feet warm with a hat, gloves and
- Always check the weather before heading out. Don't exercise
outdoors in dangerous conditions.
- Avoid cotton or tightly woven clothing, which may retain
moisture next to the skin.
- If it's very cold, wear a scarf or mask to cover your nose and
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.