Health Tip: Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning10/18/12
(HealthDay News) -- Carbon monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas that you
can't see or smell, but it can kill people and animals if a leak
isn't detected quickly.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says here's
what you can do to help reduce the risk of carbon monoxide
- Have any coal-burning, oil or gas appliances or heating systems
serviced annually by a qualified technician.
- Make sure your home has a working, battery-operated carbon
monoxide detector; change batteries twice each year when the time
- If your detector sounds or if you have any symptoms of CO
poisoning (such as nausea, dizziness or light-headedness), leave
the home immediately and call 911.
- Don't use any appliance or device that burns gasoline or
charcoal inside your home or near an open window.
- Never let your car run inside a garage, even with the garage
- Never use a gas oven to heat your home, and never use a
fireplace or stove that isn't vented.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.