Health Tip: Preparing Baby Formula11/22/12
(HealthDay News) -- Proper preparation and handling of baby's
formula can help keep your child from getting sick.
The foodsafety.gov website offers this advice:
- Always wash your hands before preparing formula or handling
- Prepare formula in a clean area so there is no risk of
cross-contamination from other food.
- Sterilize new bottles in boiling water before first use (but
not nipples, which are broken down by heat). Wash bottles in a
dishwasher after initial sterilization.
- Always hand wash nipples in hot, soapy water, not in boiling
water or dishwasher.
- If you boil water to mix with formula, make sure water is
covered while it cools. Be sure water is room temperature before
giving it to baby, to make sure baby won't be burned.
- Mix enough formula for one feeding at a time, and always follow
formula's package instructions.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.