Health Tip: Treating Bronchitis11/27/12
(HealthDay News) -- Bronchitis is a viral or bacterial infection
that causes inflammation of the bronchial tubes, making breathing
The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute recommends these
steps to help cope with bronchitis:
- Get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids.
- Adults may want to take aspirin for fever; acetaminophen (never
aspirin) for children.
- If your doctor suspects you have a bacterial infection, he or
she may prescribe an antibiotic. An antibiotic will
nothelp a viral infection, the most common cause of
- Run a humidifier or sit in a steamy bathroom to help open the
- If your doctor approves, take a medication to control cough and
- Avoid exposure to things that irritate your lungs, especially
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.