Health Tip: Prevent Disease From Pets12/18/12
(HealthDay News) -- Household pets can carry germs that can be
transmitted to people.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these
suggestions to help prevent the problem:
- Avoid touching animal waste. Carefully and thoroughly wash your
hands after cleaning up from pet waste.
- Don't let children play in uncovered outdoor sandboxes in
public areas, which may have been contaminated with animal
- Don't kiss pets on the mouth.
- If you are pregnant or have a compromised immune system, do not
clean cat litter boxes or touch reptiles.
- If you have a pet reptile, keep the cage clean. Always wash
hands after handling the reptile or anything in its cage.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.