Health Tip: Calming a Fussy Baby12/26/12
(HealthDay News) -- A soothing routine can help calm your fussy
baby and give you some peace.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these suggestions:
- Swaddle the infant using a large, lightweight blanket.
- Snuggle your baby either lying on her left side (helps
digestion) or on her belly.
- Play soothing sounds, such as a white-noise machine.
- Walk around while holding your baby, or rock her gently.
- Avoid feeding your baby too much, which can make her tummy
hurt. Let her suck on a pacifier if it's not time to eat.
- If you suspect a food sensitivity and you breastfeed, try
changing your diet. If you bottle feed, changing formulas may help.
Discuss this with your pediatrician.
- Track your baby's daily schedule of feedings, nap times, wake
times and fussy times. Restrict each daytime nap to a maximum of
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.