Health Tip: Avoiding Dry Skin02/04/13
(HealthDay News) -- Dry skin may be itchy and even painful, but
with proper care, it can be managed and even prevented.
The American Skin Association suggests how to manage dry
- Take a short shower in warm, not hot, water. Avoid long, hot
baths that can dry the skin.
- Several times a day, lather your skin with a rich moisturizing
cream. Make sure the cream doesn't contain alcohol.
- Wash skin with a gentle cleanser. Avoid harsh soaps and
- Run a humidifier.
- Drink plenty of fluids and avoid alcohol.
- Protect the skin from winter weather with gloves, a scarf and a
- Don't scratch or rub the skin.
- Avoid irritating or itchy clothing.
Health News Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.