Health Tip: Prevent Produce Problems02/12/13
(HealthDay News) -- Produce can harbor germs that can make you
sick, so it's important to prepare these foods properly.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these
- Just before you eat them, wash all vegetables and fruits with
cool tap water.
- Scrub firm produce (such as melons) with a produce brush. Rinse
softer produce with plain water.
- Throw away the outer leaves of a head of lettuce.
- If you see any damaged or bruised spots on your produce, cut
them out and discard.
- Use a paper towel or clean dish towel to dry produce.
- Cook any raw sprouts before eating.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.