Health Tip: Caring for Chapped Lips03/01/13
(HealthDay News) -- Cold winter temperatures and bitter winds
can leave your lips dry, chapped and sore.
The Cleveland Clinic lists these suggestions to help prevent and
soothe chapped lips:
- Moisturize lips each day with a balm or lip moisturizer that
contains ingredients like cocoa butter, vitamins A and E, beeswax,
petrolatum or dimethicone.
- Re-apply another layer of lip protection before heading out
into harsh weather conditions or in dry indoor air.
- Protect lips from sunburn with a balm that has an SPF of 15 or
higher; apply a balm under lipstick if you wear it.
- Choose a balm that includes an alpha-hydroxy acid to soothe and
exfoliate lips that are already chapped; you can also exfoliate
them by coating with lip balm, gently brushing lips with a
toothbrush to remove flakes, and then wiping clean and applying
more lip balm.
- Try not to lick your lips, because it actually dries them
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.