Health Tip: Teach Kids to Prevent Overuse Injuries03/11/13
(HealthDay News) -- Young children can be susceptible to overuse
injuries due to repetitive activities during sports competitions
The safekids.org website lists these tips to help kids reduce
the risk of overuse injuries from sports:
- Always warm up with jogging or light exercise for about 10
minutes before play.
- Gently and slowly stretch the muscles before and after
- Promptly recognize and address injuries.
- Make sure to allow the body to rest for one to two days per
week and at least 10 weeks during the off-season each year.
- Encourage children to play a variety of types of sports, and
always begin a new sport slowly and carefully.
- Always use protective equipment designed for your particular
activity when playing.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.