Health Tip: Protect Your Hips From Arthritis Damage03/11/13
(HealthDay News) -- Osteoarthritis can strike the hip following
years of wear and tear that causes damage to the joint. Protecting
the hips from further stress can help reduce damage.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons lists these
suggestions to help slow the progression of hip arthritis:
- Allow your hips to rest, and don't overuse the joints.
- Practice a physical-therapy regimen that includes gentle
exercises such as swimming, cycling and water aerobics to maintain
joint function and motion.
- Try taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Make sure you get plenty of sleep every night.
- If you are overweight, lose weight.
- Consider using a cane to ease strain on the joint if your
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.