Health Tip: Enjoy Safe Exercise During Pregnancy03/20/13
(HealthDay News) -- Exercise can be an important part of a
healthy pregnancy, as long as you take precautions to stay
The American Academy of Family Physicians lists these safety
guidelines for exercising during pregnancy:
- Always check with your doctor before you begin exercising
- Don't push yourself to the point of pain, excessive fatigue or
shortness of breath.
- If you have exercised regularly before pregnancy, you may need
to exercise less vigorously.
- If you did not exercise before pregnancy, ease into exercise
- Stick to low-impact exercises that are easier on your
- Avoid contact sports or activities where you may fall; avoid
exercises that require you to lie on your back or long periods of
- Stay hydrated and don't overheat.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.