Health Tip: Stretch Before and After Exercise03/25/13
(HealthDay News) -- Proper stretching can help reduce the risk
of injury and improve your workouts.
The Women's Heart Foundation offers these suggestions for proper
- Gently and slowly stretch for at least five to seven minutes
before aerobic exercise.
- Make sure your stretching motions are relaxed and slow.
- Never bounce when stretching, which can cause you to pull a
- Don't push too hard; stretch until you feel mild tension in the
muscle but never to the point of pain.
- Without bouncing, hold each stretch for at least 15 seconds
while breathing naturally. Take a break and repeat.
- Perform cool-down stretches for at least five to seven minutes
after aerobic exercise.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.