Health Tip: Protect Your Feet in the Heat04/11/13
(HealthDay News) -- Hot weather can give your feet a beating,
but you can take a few steps to protect your sensitive soles from
the heat and sun.
The American Podiatric Medical Association lists these tips to
keep feet healthy in hot weather:
- Try not to walk around barefoot to help reduce the risk of
injury and infection.
- Slip on a pair of flip-flops when you're at the pool, beach or
locker room, and even in a hotel room.
- Protect your feet from sunburn by thoroughly applying sunscreen
all over your feet, and reapplying after you've been in the
- Cut down on swelling by drinking plenty of water, and remember
to stretch your ankles and calves and wiggle your feet
- Wear appropriate protective footwear for water sports that
require it; pack an extra pair so you don't have to put on wet
- Pack a foot first-aid kit for vacation, and seek medical
attention for any foot problems.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.