Health Tip: Keep Teeth Healthy During Pregnancy05/10/13
(HealthDay News) -- Regular dental checkups and proper daily
hygiene are important during pregnancy.
The American Dental Association (ADA) offers these suggestions
for pregnant women:
- Use an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste to brush your teeth at
least twice daily. Floss teeth at least once daily, as well.
- Eat healthy, nutritious foods and keep snacking on sugary or
fatty foods to a minimum.
- Get regular dental checkups.
- Talk to your dentist about using an antimicrobial mouth
- Discuss any problems with your dentist, such as gums that
bleed, swell or become red.
- If you have morning sickness, rinse your mouth with a mixture
of one teaspoon of baking soda and water. Avoid brushing just after
vomiting to prevent contact of more stomach acids with the
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.