Health Tip: Run Smart, Run Safe05/21/13
(HealthDay News) -- The next time you go for a run or jog,
staying safe should be your first concern.
The Road Runners Club of America offers these safety tips:
- Don't wear headphones, which can reduce awareness of your
- Always run against traffic.
- Follow all traffic signals and rules. Look both ways before
crossing, making sure drivers acknowledge you.
- Carry ID with you, or label the inside of your running shoes
with your ID and medical information, including blood type.
- Wear reflective gear when running at dusk, dawn or night.
- Carry a phone and a noisemaker.
- Run with a buddy, and vary your usual route in familiar
- Tell loved ones where you will be running. Avoid isolated or
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.