Health Tip: Help Prevent Varicose Veins06/12/13
(HealthDay News) -- Varicose veins are painful, swollen veins
that usually affect the legs. While you may not be able to keep
them from forming, you can take steps to prevent them from
The U.S. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute mentions
these prevention tips:
- Do not stand or sit for long periods without interruption.
- Don't cross your legs while seated.
- Elevate your legs when sitting or lying down, keeping them
raised above your heart.
- Get plenty of regular physical activity, strengthening the
muscles in your legs.
- Lose any extra weight to help improve blood flow.
- Do not wear tight clothes, especially those that are
constricting around the waist, groin or thighs.
- If your doctor says it's a good idea, wear compression hose to
help keep blood from pooling.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.