Health Tip: Ease the Itch of Poison Ivy07/08/13
(HealthDay News) -- Poison ivy rash usually isn't dangerous, but
it sure is uncomfortable.
The American Academy of Dermatology offers these suggestions to
help ease the itch:
- Take a short, lukewarm oatmeal bath in a solution bought at the
- Take a lukewarm bath and add 1 cup of baking soda to the bath
- Take a short, cool shower.
- Apply calamine lotion to the rash.
- Apply a cool compress (wash cloth dampened with cold water) to
the itchy skin.
- Don't use a topical antihistamine, which could worsen the rash.
But do take an oral antihistamine.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.