Health Tip: Help Prevent Hand Eczema07/09/13
(HealthDay News) -- Hand eczema is characterized by itchy, red,
dry and tender hands. It may surprise you to learn that "dishpan
hands" are a form of hand eczema.
The National Eczema Association suggests how to prevent or
minimize symptoms of hand eczema:
- If symptoms are flaring, keep your hands as dry as
- When washing hands, use a gentle, perfume-free cleanser and a
little lukewarm water. Gently blot them dry and quickly apply a
- Don't use a hand sanitizer when hand eczema is flaring.
- Protect your hands with gloves when working with food or
- Wear cotton gloves while doing chores around the house.
- Don't wear rings while doing housework or washing hands.
- Ask someone else to shampoo your hair. Or use waterproof
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.