Health Tip: Protect Yourself From Medical Errors07/12/13
(HealthDay News) -- Medical errors are among the top causes of
death and injury, the American Academy of Family Physicians
The academy says you can help protect yourself by becoming an
active member of your health care team:
- Inform your doctors about all of your medications, including
any over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and supplements.
- Tell your doctors about any allergies.
- Make sure your doctors have access to all of your important
- Ask questions about any medication before you start taking it,
such as what the medication is for and possible side effects.
- Make sure you can read the doctor's handwriting on any
- Before having any surgery, choose your hospital wisely. Discuss
any possible risks with your doctor.
- Educate yourself about your own health. Don't be afraid to
speak up and ask questions.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.