Health Tip: If You Spill Mercury07/22/13
(HealthDay News) -- If you drop and break a thermometer that
contains mercury, it's important to minimize exposure to the toxic
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency offers this advice:
- Never use a vacuum cleaner to clean up a mercury spill. Doing
so will spread the mercury through the air.
- For the same reason, don't clean up mercury with a broom.
- Do not pour mercury down the drain, which can contaminate
plumbing and sewage facilities.
- For the same reason, do not wash clothing contaminated with
mercury in a washing machine.
- Do not wear shoes that could be contaminated with mercury.
Instead, evacuate everyone from the immediate area, open all
windows and doors, turn down the temperature, shut all doors to
other parts of the house and leave the area. Then, call your local
or state health or environmental agency.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.