Homemade Blowgun Darts Pose Choking Dangers for Teens07/22/13
MONDAY, July 22 (HealthDay News) -- It seems kids will never
stop coming up with creative ways to injure themselves, if the
cases of three teen boys and their homemade blowguns are any
Doctors at one hospital describe treating the boys who each
accidentally swallowed a dart from blowguns they'd constructed
themselves -- with help from the Internet -- in the August issue of
The first case was a 15-year-old who landed in the emergency
department after having a three-hour coughing spell. X-rays
revealed a foreign object in his airways, and the boy admitted that
he'd accidentally inhaled a dart from his do-it-yourself
Over the next three months, two other teen boys arrived in the
ER with the same injury.
People usually think of preschoolers as being the age group at
risk of accidentally swallowing a foreign object, noted Dr. Kris
Jatana, one of the authors of the report. But, he said, doctors
should also have this possibility on their radar when an older kid
arrives in the ER with an unexplained cough or wheezing.
"With this age group, it's sometimes hard to get an accurate history," said Jatana, an ear, nose and throat surgeon at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.
That is, teenagers are not all that forthcoming when they've
done something they shouldn't have -- in this case, construct a
homemade blowgun. All three boys found instructions online.
"The Internet is an avenue for this information to get out there to kids," Jatana said. He and his colleagues found 20 websites that offer a homemade blowgun "how-to" guide. Some of the sites, Jatana said, warned people not to point the gun at others, but none brought up the risk of inhaling -- or aspirating -- a dart.
"It's a real setup for aspiration," Jatana said. To use the gun, he explained, you have to take a deep inhale before sending a forceful exhale into the device, which then propels the dart. But if a child mistakenly puts his mouth on the device while he inhales, the dart can easily be sucked into the airways.
Luckily for the three boys in this report, the doctors were able
to easily remove the dart with a bronchoscope -- a thin, flexible
tube that's passed through the throat to the airways.
"Fortunately, these kids were fine," Jatana said. But, he added, any time a foreign object gets lodged in the airways, it's a potentially fatal situation.
An ER doctor not involved in the study agreed that suspicions
should be raised if a teen has first-time wheezing and there's no
clear potential cause -- such as a cold or exposure to noxious
"An X-ray may be warranted in these cases," said Dr. Michael Lanigan of SUNY Downstate Medical Center, in New York City.
In training, Lanigan noted, doctors are taught to X-ray younger
children with first-time wheezing, to see whether there's a foreign
object in the airways. "I never thought I'd say the same for
adolescents or adults," he added.
Lanigan agreed that these three boys were fortunate. "Aspiration
or swallowing of any sharp object is always particularly
dangerous," he said. A sharp object can not only obstruct, but also
puncture, the airways or intestines. A perforation in those
passages could lead to "spillage" of bacteria and "potentially
catastrophic results," Lanigan said.
The simple truth, according to Lanigan, is that playing with
homemade blowguns is a "really bad idea."
The American Academy of Pediatrics has advice on handling a
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.