Health Tip: If You're a Vegetarian Athlete08/01/13
(HealthDay News) -- Vegetarian athletes must get enough
nutrients and calories to fuel their bodies without including
The American Council on Exercise offers these suggestions for
- Vegetarians who eat sufficient eggs and dairy products needn't
be worried about protein deficiency.
- Meat substitutes and soy also can be good sources of
- Vegans should eat nuts, seeds, legumes and whole-grain breads
and cereals to get enough protein.
- Get enough calcium via vitamin-D-fortified flour, tortillas,
nuts and sesame seeds.
- Get plenty of iron by eating spinach, nuts, seeds, eggs and
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.