Health Tip: Are You at Risk for Melanoma?08/08/13
(HealthDay News) -- Melanoma is a dangerous form of skin cancer.
Knowing your risk factors may help prevent melanoma and detect it
The U.S. National Cancer Institute says risk factors for
- Significant exposure to sunlight's ultraviolet rays. Sunscreen
can help prevent UV rays from damaging the skin.
- Use of tanning booths.
- Having had a severe, blistering sunburn.
- Living in an area where the sun is strongest.
- Having a personal or family history of skin cancer.
- Having 50 or more "common moles."
- Having very fair skin that burns easily.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.