Health Tip: Wear Protective Gear When Skateboarding or Skating08/20/13
(HealthDay News) -- Skateboarding and inline skating, once
considered unusual sports, are now commonplace among our
But before your child trie either for the first time, make sure
he or she follows these safety suggestions from the American
Academy of Pediatrics:
- Replace wheels as soon as they show significant signs of wear,
and make sure they are clean and free of debris.
- Wear a properly fitting, safety-certified helmet.
- Wear elbow and knee pads, as well as wrist guards.
- Be aware of the environment you're skating in. Most accidents
happen on public roads, parking lots and sidewalks.
- Take notice of other skaters, walkers, bicyclists and cars that
use the same areas.
- Learn the proper skating techniques. Consider taking a skating
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.