Health Tip: Pack Safe School Lunches08/27/13
(HealthDay News) -- As the kids head back to school, make sure
you follow food-safety guidelines while packing their lunches.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics suggests how to keep
school lunches safe and healthy:
- Wash your child's lunch box each day with warm, soapy
- Even when in a rush, don't take shortcuts. Wash your hands
before preparing your child's lunch, and make sure food-preparation
areas are clean.
- Pack perishable foods in an insulated container with an ice
pack. Store perishables packed the night before in the
- Pack shelf-stable lunchtime goodies such as trail mix, cut
veggies, cereal, granola, fruit and whole grain crackers.
- Wash all fruits and veggies, even those that need to be
- Remind kids to wash hands before eating. Make sure they throw
away or refrigerate any perishables left over from lunch.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.