Health Tip: Keep Battery-Powered Devices Away From Kids08/29/13
(HealthDay News) -- So-called "button" batteries power many of
the devices that keep little ones interested, so it's important to
take steps to protect kids from ingesting these batteries.
The Children's National Medical Center offers this advice for
- Restrict access to any devices that use "button" and larger
batteries, including remote controls, flameless candles, musical
cards and pocket calculators.
- If you think your child may have swallowed a battery, seek
immediate help from a medical professional. Do not induce vomiting
or give your child any food or drink unless so advised by a medical
- Recognize symptoms of ingesting a battery, which may include
coughing, drooling or discomfort.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.