Health Tip: Power Up With an Afternoon Snack10/08/13
(HealthDay News) -- Whether you need a pick-me-up at the office
or your child needs an energy boost after school, a healthy snack
can be just what you need to power through the afternoon.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these healthy
snack ideas for the afternoon:
- Munch on trail mix that contains dried fruit, nuts, low-sugar
cereal and whole-grain pretzels, or a handful of nuts and
- Dip into some low-fat yogurt or have your favorite fruit or
- Enjoy veggies or pretzels dipped in hummus or peanut butter, or
baked tortilla chips with salsa.
- Crunch on whole-grain crackers with low-fat cheese, or enjoy a
bowl of whole-grain cereal with skim milk.
- Wrap a slice of low-sodium turkey around an apple slice or in a
whole-wheat tortilla with some low-fat cheese, warmed up in the
- Spread nut butter on celery sticks and top with raisins or
- For a beverage, stick to water, skim milk or 100 percent fruit
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.