Health Tip: Caring for an Animal Bite11/04/13
(HealthDay News) -- No one is able to prevent
allanimal bites, so it's important to know what to do if you
are bitten by a dog or cat.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers this
- Carefully wash the area with soap and warm water.
- Stop any bleeding by applying a clean towel.
- Cover the wound with a sterile bandage.
- Elevate the area above the heart to reduce swelling and the
risk of infection.
- Apply antibiotic ointment twice daily until healed.
- If appropriate, call your doctor and local authorities.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.