Health Tip: Help Boost Your Immune System12/26/13
(HealthDay News) -- Eating a healthy diet can help strengthen
your immune system to ward off illness.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends these
nutrients and foods:
- Protein to help the body defend itself. Sources include eggs,
soy, unsalted seeds and nuts, lean meats, seafood, poultry, beans
- Vitamin A to promote healthy skin and tissues. Sources include
kale, spinach, red peppers, sweet potatoes, carrots, eggs, apricots
and foods marked as fortified with vitamin A.
- Vitamin C to help create antibodies. Sources include
tangerines, oranges, grapefruits and other citrus fruits, papaya,
strawberries, red bell peppers, tomato juice and vitamin
- Vitamin E, found in vegetable oils, peanut butter, spinach,
almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds and vitamin E-fortified
- Zinc, which helps with immune system function, via beans, nuts,
milk, whole grains, poultry, seafood and lean meats.
Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.