Health Tip: Are You at Risk for an Exercise Injury?02/18/14
(HealthDay News) -- You don't have to push yourself to the point
of pain to gain the benefits of exercise, experts say.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says you're at
greater risk for exercise-related injury if you:
- Exercise excessively or increase the intensity or duration of
exercise too aggressively.
- Exercise in extreme weather.
- Exercise without appropriate equipment, such as shoes that
aren't designed for your activity.
- Have had a previous injury, are a smoker or lead a sedentary
- Have certain musculoskeletal problems, such as high arches or
Copyright © 2014
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.