Health Tip: Keep Poisons From Children03/28/14
(HealthDay News) -- Poisonous or harmful substances, from
medications to cleaning supplies, should be kept safely out of
reach from curious children.
Safekids.org offers these suggestions:
- Make sure dangerous products, including bleach, detergent and
other cleaning items, are kept where a child cannot reach them.
Under-sink storage is not a safe place.
- If you do store dangerous products in cabinets that a child can
reach, secure them with a safety lock.
- Many unexpected items, such as makeup, plants, personal care
products and art supplies, also can be hazardous and shouldn't be
within a child's reach.
- Make sure all medications are stored out of a child's
- Inspect your home for lead-based paint. Remove any peeling
paint or paint from surfaces that a child could chew.
- Have the national Poison Help number easily accessible:
Copyright © 2014
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.