Health Tip: Preventing the Spread of Norovirus06/18/14
(HealthDay News) -- Norovirus is commonly spread among people in
tight-knit surroundings, such as college dorms and cruise ships.
Infected people may complain of stomachache, nausea and
The Foodsafety.gov website suggests how to help prevent the
spread of norovirus:
- Always wash hands after using the bathroom and before preparing
food. Wash with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds.
- Restaurant or deli workers should not touch food with bare
- Clean any potentially contaminated surfaces with a bleach-based
cleaner. Make sure all food preparation surfaces and utensils are
- Never serve, prepare or cook food if you have had diarrhea or
- All shellfish should be thoroughly cooked before eating. All
fruits and vegetables should be washed.
- Promptly machine-wash and dry any linens or clothing exposed to
vomiting or diarrhea.
Copyright © 2014
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.