Health Tip: Get the Right Nutrients While Nursing09/03/14
(HealthDay News) -- A nutrient-rich diet is essential for
nursing mothers to promote a healthy supply of breast milk.
The American Academy of Pediatrics says a nursing mother's diet
- Plenty of calcium from dairy products, calcium-fortified foods,
leafy green vegetables or dried beans.
- Vitamin D through safe exposure to sunlight and fortified
- Protein by way of lean meats, fatty fish, eggs, dried beans,
nuts and nut butters.
- Iron from leafy green vegetables, meat, fish and iron-fortified
- Folic acid from green vegetables, beans, citrus fruits, meat
and fortified foods. Folic acid supplements also will do.
Copyright © 2014
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.