VIEW THE CROUSE COLLEGE OF NURSING HISTORICAL TIMELINE
YESTERDAY AND TODAY
The Crouse-Irving Training School for Nurses was established on Aug. 13, 1913, and was registered by the Regents of the University of the State of New York on Feb. 26, 1914. Twenty-one student nurses were accepted into the program during its first year. At the time, one year of high school was required for admission and applicants were asked to submit a letter from a clergyman, testifying to their sound moral character. New students were accepted on probation; for three months they learned how the hospital operated, Successful candidates were then accepted as “pupil students,” able to don the uniform and cap of the school. Upon completion of the three-year diploma program, students became graduate nurses.
Today, the Crouse Hospital College of Nursing ranks among the top RN programs in New York State and nationwide. The college is accredited by the National League for Nursing Accreditation Commission, a high-quality, independent regulatory agency with rigorous educational standards. Offering a two-year associate’s degree program, the college features classroom, clinical, laboratory and computer-assisted study within a state-of-the-art teaching environment that includes an array of simulation mannekins that help students learn valuable skills in a life-like setting before working with patients. Innovative program design, low student-to-instructor ratios and affordable tuition are among the school’s strengths and contribute to the success of each individual.
In its 100-year history, Crouse has graduated close to 5,000 female and male nurses.
Many thanks to Crouuse Archivist Kris Delaney from the Crouse Library and Judy Farrelly from Media Services for preparing the historical timeline.