At Crouse Hospital we understand the key to a world-class Blood Utilization and Safety Program is the ability to deliver blood products with a patient-safety focus and to effectively identify those patients who must receive blood products and those who can be treated with limited blood products or none at all.
Goal: Assure your blood is in an optimal state to best tolerate any degree of blood loss.
• Checking for anemia
• Giving iron supplements and other medications that will enhance the body's blood reserve before and after your procedure
• Efficient preoperative lab testing
Goal: Minimize blood loss.
• Using expert surgical technique and tools
• Administering medications that will stop or minimize bleeding
• Utilizing cell salvage equipment which gives patients back their own blood as opposed to receiving blood from a donor
After Surgery and in the Medical Setting
Goal: Minimize or eliminate the need for transfusion of blood products.
• Assess each individual's healing process before the need for blood arises
• Monitor blood levels and take other conservative actions to prevent need for blood products