Today’s Crouse Hospital reflects a rich history of innovation, visionary leadership and strong community support. In 2007, the hospital celebrated its 120th year of service to Central New York.
When It All Started
Syracuse Women’s Hospital and Training School for Nurses was founded in 1887 by a group of community-minded women, the only hospital in the area that would admit women and children. In 1902, its name was changed to Syracuse Hospital for Women and Children and by 1908 the hospital began to admit men. In 1918, the name was changed to Syracuse Memorial Hospital to reflect its broader range of services. In 1929, the hospital moved to its present location on Irving Avenue. In 1946, after World War II and the establishment of a cooperative arrangement with Syracuse University’s School of Nursing, the Syracuse Memorial Hospital School of Nursing was dissolved.
Crouse Irving Hospital, destined to merge with Syracuse Memorial, was founded by a group of physicians and investors under the leadership of Dr. William L. Wallace in 1912. The building was designed so that if the hospital venture was not successful, the building could be used as a hotel. However, the hospital was needed to care for the growing city population and was efficiently and successfully managed. In 1913, the Crouse Irving Hospital School of Nursing was founded.
Two Hospitals Merge
For many years, Syracuse Memorial Hospital and Crouse Irving Hospital operated separately while being located across the street from each other. Involved in a community-wide effort to consolidate medical facilities and maximize access to healthcare, the two hospitals merged in 1968 into Crouse Irving Memorial Hospital. Crouse Irving’s School of Nursing became the Crouse Irving Memorial Hospital School of Nursing at that time.
At first, the two separate buildings were maintained but services were shared. Immediately following the merger, plans were begun to expand and modernize the existing facility. As part of the S.H.A.R.E. campaign to modernize healthcare facilities in Onondaga County, funds were raised to replace the deteriorating Crouse Irving Hospital Building. In 1976, the Irving Unit (attached to the Memorial Unit, the former Syracuse Memorial Hospital) was opened and all medical services were located under one roof. The former Crouse Irving Hospital was converted to an educational building for the hospital and the school of nursing, then demolished in 1991 when the present Harry and Lillian Marley Education Center opened.
In June 1996, a new name and updated graphic identity were announced, changing Crouse Irving Memorial Hospital to Crouse Hospital.
Crouse continues to be known for our innovation and commitment to quality, and the hospital has received a number of national and local honors for healthcare quality and our focus on becoming a hospital where patients want to be treated, doctors want to admit their patients and employees want to work.