Walking is, overall, one of the best activities you can do to achieve fitness. To get the most benefit, you need to take 10,000 steps a day (roughly 5 miles), which can be measured by a pedometer, your Smartphone or an activity tracker. A person who walks 10,000 steps a day will burn between 2000 and 3500 extra calories per week. Keep in mind that about half of your 10,000 steps can come from activities of everyday living.
Staying Motivated to Keep Walking
Challenge yourself. Set new goals. Increase the distance, time and/or frequency of your walks.
Keep track of your progress by wearing a pedometer or using a fitness app.
- Walk with a friend
- Wear a portable music player and listen to podcasts or your favorite music
- Change your route
- Change your scenery
Ways to get your steps in!
- 25 Simple Ways to Get More Steps in your day
- Play Deskercise Bingo, which is a fun way to sneak in extra steps
- Download a health/fitness app, such as MyFitnessPal
- Join the YMCA Folksmarch Walking Group and see the sites of Central New York
- Participate in Upcoming Walk/Run Events in CNY
- Try out CNY Hiking and EveryTrail/Syracuse to explore outdoor walking/hiking in CNY
- Pound the pavement on the Onondaga Creek Walk, a 2.6-mile trail that extends north and south of Syracuse’s Inner Harbor
- Get with your circle of friends and use activity trackers to challenge each other (ex: FitBit or Jawbone UP) – making healthy living social
- Visit Steps to Good Health on Facebook
- Check out the Crouse Wellness Programs, which include gym, fitness classes, and product discounts
- Be part of the Monday Mile Movement! Various trails and marked paths located throughout Onondaga County